Vlissingen; G. Braun & F. Hogenberg – Flissinga munitissimu Zelandiae (..).; 1598 -1617

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) / Georg Braun (1541 – 1622).

Vroege kopergravure van Vlissingen aan de Westerschelde. Iconische plattegrond in perspectief met opstanden van huizen en gebouwen van de stad. Uit het vijfde deel van het beroemde stedenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum van Braun en Hogenberg, uitgegeven te Keulen.

Early copper engraving of Vlissingen on the Westerschelde. Iconic view of the town’s houses and buildings. From the fifth part of the famous city book Civitates Orbis Terrarum by Braun and Hogenberg, published in Cologne.

445,00

1 in stock

Description

Details

  • Type: carthografische prent
  • Titel: Flissinga munitissimu Zelandiae oppidum, tutissimum Nautarum et Nauclerorum domicilium.
  • Publicatie: 1596-1617
  • Techniek: kopergravure met oudtijdse kleuring
  • Cartograaf: Jacob van Deventer
  • Uitgever: Gottfried von Kempen e.a.
  • Graveur: Frans Hogenberg e.a.
  • Gepubliceerd in: Civitates Orbis Terrarum door Frans Hogenberg en George Braun in Köln
  •   34.0 x 41.5 cm. (13.4 x 16.3 inches)
  • 39.8 x 53.5 cm (15.7 x 21.1 inches)
  • Verso: Latijnse tekst
  • 6020 O
  • Bron: Koeman II B&H 5 [28] / Taschen p. 390 / Fauser #14970

 

Condition: A

Zeer goed, gegeven de leeftijd. Middenvouw als uitgegeven met ruime marges. Scherpe afdruk met fraaie kleuring op fris en stevig papier met een enkel vlekje en een watervlek in de onderzijde, niet zichtbaar in het beeld. Klein gaatje in het titelcartouche.

Very good, given age. Center fold as issued with wide margins. Sharp print with beautiful coloring on fresh and sturdy paper with a single spot and a water stain in the bottom, not visible in the image. Small hole in the title cartouche.

Backgrounds

Vlissingen

Translation of the title: ‘The well-fortified town of Vlissingen in Zeeland, safe harbour for merchants and mariners.’

Het vogelperspectief toont de goed versterkte haven van Vlissingen – in het Engels ook wel ‘Flushing’ genoemd – aan de zuidkust van het schiereiland Walcheren in de Nederlandse provincie Zeeland, aan de monding van de Westerschelde. De verhoogde hoek geeft een goed overzicht van de lay-out en de vestingwerken van de stad, terwijl een gevoel van sfeer ook wordt overgebracht door de vele schepen die aangemeerd zijn aan de twee houten steigers die ver in de zee uitsteken en voor anker liggen in de binnenhaven. Rechts van de stad ligt een verwoeste citadel, met daarachter de galg. Vlissingen, een kleine vissersplaats in de 7e eeuw, groeide uit tot een belangrijke Nederlandse havenstad en kreeg haar stadsrechten in 1315. De stad was van groot strategisch belang vanwege de ligging aan de ingang van de haven van Antwerpen.

The bird’s-eye view shows the well-fortified port of Vlissingen – also known in English as Flushing – on the south coast of the Walcheren Peninsula in the Dutch province of Zeeland, at the mouth of the Western Schelde. The elevated angle permits a good overview of the town’s layout and fortifications, while a sense of atmosphere is also conveyed by the many ships moored at the two wooden jetties projecting far out into the sea and anchored in the inner harbour. To the right of the town lies a ruined citadel, with behind it the gallows. A small fishing settlement in the 7th century, Vlissingen grew into an important Netherlandish port and was granted its charter in 1315. The town was of major strategic significance due to its location at the entrance to the port of Antwerp.

Commentary by George Braun: ‘Vlissingen is one of the noblest cities in Zeeland, situated on the Island of Walacria, opposite Flanders. Around about the year 1400, so the chroniclers record, it was no more than a flat field. Some 60 years ago Adolphus Burgundus surrounded this town with walls and gates and furnished it with everything that is needed for ships to anchor, so that it can now rIghtly be called a port from where one can easily travel and sail to all parts of the world, above all because it is equipped with a large and convenient harbour, so that all sea-going ships from the east, west and south can put in here. Hence Vlissingen is not wrongly called the key to the Netherlandish Sea.’

Frans Hogenberg & George Braun

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590) was een belangrijke Brabantse carthograaf. Hij sympathiseerde met de hervorming en vluchtte van Antwerpen naar Duitsland. In Keulen richtte hij samen met Georg Braun een cartografische drukkerij-uitgeverij op. Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was redacteur en kanunnik van de Dom van Keulen.

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg. By the end of the 1560’s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius’s Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor’s degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Civitates Orbis Terrarum

Braun en Hogenberg stelden in 1572 het stadsgezichtenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum samen. Dit boek sloeg aan in Duitsland en raakte later overal bekend. Het zesde en laatste deel verscheen in 1617.  Het is de grootste verzameling plattegronden en illustraties die ooit is verschenen. Het boek is ontstaan tussen 1572 en 1617 en bevat 363 kaarten en stadsgezichten van alle belangrijke steden in Europa en steden in Azië, Afrika en Latijns-Amerika. Ruim honderd kunstenaars en cartografen hebben meegewerkt aan deze atlas, die niet alleen plattegronden van steden laat zien maar ook afbeeldingen van mensen in hun landelijke kleding, schepen en topografische afbeeldingen van stad en land. De atlas was bedoeld als gids voor de in 1570 verschenen wereldatlas Theatrum Orbis Terrarum van Abraham Ortelius die inderdaad een aantal bladen voor zijn wereldatlas gebruikt heeft.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the “Braun & Hogenberg”, is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Cornelis Antonisz., Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, the next volumes appeared in 1575, 1581, 1588, 1596 and 1617. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.