Antwerpen – Anverpia.; G. Braun & F. Hogenberg – 1572-1617

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) / Georg Braun (1541 – 1622).

Antieke kaart van de zeehaven Antwerpen aan de Schelde. Iconisch aanzicht in perspectief met gebouwen en Citadel.. Oudtijds gekleurde kopergravure uit het eerste deel van het beroemde stedenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum door Braun en Hogenberg.

Antique map of the seaport of Antwerp on the Scheldt. Iconic view in perspective with buildings and Citadel. Contemporary colored copper engraving from the first part of the famous city book Civitates Orbis Terrarum by Braun and Hogenberg.

695,00

1 in stock

Description

Boven de wapens van Brabant en de stad. Onder decoratieve cartouches met dedicaties en legenda. Toponiemen in de kaart. De schepen varen met rode vlaggen, zeldzaam.

Above the coats of arms of Brabant and the city. Below decorative cartouches with dedications and legend. Toponyms in the map. The ships fly red flags, which is rare.

Details

  • Type: carthografische prent
  • Title: Anverpia.
  • Publication: 1572-1617
  • Technique: kopergravure, oudtijds gekleurd
  • Publicer: Gottfried von Kempen e.a.
  • Engraver: Frans Hogenberg e.a.
  • Publiced in: Civitates Orbis Terrarum Liber Primus Coloniae (..) door Frans Hogenberg en George Braun in Köln
  •   34.0 x 48.1 cm.
  • 41.2 x 53.8 cm
  • Verso: Latijnse tekst, 17
  • 9720BO
  • Source: Koeman I B&H 1 [17] / Taschen p. 73 / Fauser #519

 

Condition: B

Goed, gegeven de leeftijd. Middenvouw als uitgegeven met ruime marges. Scherpe afdruk met fraaie kleuring op verouderd papier. Verkleuring en scheurtjes door oxidatie in rand en middenvouw onder. Aan het verso verstevigd, met minimaal beeldverlies. Paar kleine restauraties door verhechting. Paar imperfecties in de marges.

Good, given age. Centrefold as issued with wide margins. Sharp print with beautiful coloring on aged paper. Discoloration and cracks due to oxidation in the edge and center fold at the bottom. Reinforced on the verso, with minimal image loss. A few minor restorations due to bonding. A few imperfections in the margins.

Backgrounds

Antwerpen

Antwerpen is een goedgebouwde en bekende handelsstad in Brabant, die veel Duitsers, Fransen, Italianen, Spanjaarden, Engelsen aantrekt. In deze stad staan prachtige, enorme kerken en huizen, waaronder met name de Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk met een hoge stenen toren en het prachtige, mooie stadhuis. De eerbiedwaardige Hanze, de Engelsen en de Portugezen bezitten ook openbare gebouwen waarin de kooplieden hun woningen hebben. In de Sint-Michielskerk staat een prachtig monument en graftombe voor Isabella’s echtgenoot, Karel, hertog van Bourgondië. In 1567 werd de massieve stadsmuur gebouwd met imposante fortificaties en bolwerken en omgeven door een grote gracht. Binnen omringen comfortabele huizen bewoond door de bezetters een breed plein. In het midden staat een standbeeld van de beroemde hertog van Alba, gemaakt van verguld metaal, dat met hoge kosten is gegoten in opdracht van de koning van Spanje. Opgericht ter nagedachtenis aan Ferdinand Alvarez van Toledo, hertog van Alva, Filips II van Spanje, de opperbevelhebber van Spanje in de Spaanse Nederlanden, als de meest trouwe dienaar van de koning, omdat hij na het onderdrukken van de opstand en het neerslaan van de opstandelingen het geloof, de wet en vrede van de provincie.

Translation of the text in the cartouche: ’Antwerp is a well-built and noted trade city in Brabant, which attracts many Germans, French, Italians, Spaniards, English and other nations. In this city there are beautiful, huge churches and houses, including in particular the church of Our Lady with a tall stone tower and the splendid, beautiful town hall. The venerable Hansa, the English and the Portuguese also own public buildings in which the merchants have their residences. In the church of St Michael is a magnificent monument and tomb for Isabella’s husband, Charles, Duke of Burgundy. In 1567 the massive city wall was built with imposing blockhouses and bulwarks and surrounded by a large moat. Inside, comfortable houses inhabited by the occupying troops surround a broad square. In the middle stands a statue of the famous Duke of Alba made of gilt metal, cast at great expense on the orders of the King of Spain. Erected in memory of Ferdinand Alvarez of Toledo, Duke of Alba, Philip II of Spain’s commander-in-chief in the Spanish Netherlands, as the King’s most faithful servant, because after quelling the uprising and crushing the insurgents he upheld the faith, law and peace of the province. ‘

Commentary by George Braun: ‘The city of Antwerp possesses all the vital necessities of life in abundance, as is also observed with wonder by the foreign merchants; here we find Spanish, French and Rhenish wines, a huge fish market with a great number of fresh sea and river fish, and also salted fish. Amongst the public buildings, the splendid town hall must be mentioned first, built in four years at considerable cost and with great skill, and made of a very striking marble brought here from far-off lands. … In the heart of the city lies a square marketplace with a colonnade in which merchants can conduct their business. There is also a magnificent church here, dedicated to Our Lady, with an extremely tall tower of white marble.’

Frans Hogenberg & George Braun

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590) was een belangrijke Vlaamse etser, carthograaf en uitgever. Hij sympathiseerde met de hervorming en vluchtte van Antwerpen naar Duitsland. In Keulen richtte hij samen met Georg Braun een cartografische drukkerij-uitgeverij op. Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was redacteur en kanunnik van de Dom van Keulen.

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg. By the end of the 1560’s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius’s Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor’s degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Civitates Orbis Terrarum

Braun en Hogenberg stelden in 1572 het stadsgezichtenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum samen. Dit boek sloeg aan in Duitsland en raakte later overal bekend. Het zesde en laatste deel verscheen in 1617.  Het is de grootste verzameling plattegronden en illustraties die ooit is verschenen. Het boek is ontstaan tussen 1572 en 1617 en bevat 363 kaarten en stadsgezichten van alle belangrijke steden in Europa en steden in Azië, Afrika en Latijns-Amerika. Ruim honderd kunstenaars en cartografen hebben meegewerkt aan deze atlas, die niet alleen plattegronden van steden laat zien maar ook afbeeldingen van mensen in hun landelijke kleding, schepen en topografische afbeeldingen van stad en land. De atlas was bedoeld als gids voor de in 1570 verschenen wereldatlas Theatrum Orbis Terrarum van Abraham Ortelius die inderdaad een aantal bladen voor zijn wereldatlas gebruikt heeft.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the “Braun & Hogenberg”, is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Cornelis Antonisz., Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, the next volumes appeared in 1575, 1581, 1588, 1598 and 1617. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

You may also like…