Kampen; G. Braun & F. Hogenberg – Urbis Campensis (..) – 1581-1617

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) / Georg Braun (1541 – 1622).

Vroege oudtijds gekleurde kopergravure van de Hanzestad Kampen aan de IJssel. Iconische plattegrond uit het het derde deel van het beroemde stedenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum van Braun en Hogenberg, uitgegeven te Keulen.

Early old-colored copper engraving of the town of  Kampen on the IJssel. Iconic map from the third part of the famous city book Civitates Orbis Terrarum by Braun and Hogenberg, published in Cologne.

325,00

1 in stock

Description

Plattegrond met titel, legenda, stadswapen en wapenschild.

Map with title, legend, city coat of arms and coat of arms.

Details

  • Type: carthografische prent
  • Title: Urbis Campensis ad Isalam Fluvium Icon.
  • Technique: kopergravure met oudtijdse inkleuring
  • Carthographer: Jacob van Deventer
  • Printer: Gottfried von Kempen e.a.
  • Engraver: Frans Hogenberg e.a.
  • Publication dates: 1575-1617
  • issued from 1581
  • Publiced in: Civitates Orbis Terrarum by Frans Hogenberg en George Braun in Köln
  •   34.0 x 48.0 cm. (13.4 x 18.9 inches)
  • 40.0 x 53.0 cm (15.7 x 20.9 inches)
  • Verso: Latijnse tekst
  • 1080 O
  • Source: Koeman’s ‘Geschiedenis van de Kartografie van Nederland’, pg. 124-126

 

Condition

Zeer goed, gegeven de leeftijd. Middenvouw als uitgegeven met ruime marges. Fraaie print met heldere inkleuring en een enkel vlekje.

Good, given age. Center fold as published with wide margins. Nice clean print with bright coloring. General age-related toning and/or occasional minor defects from handling.

Backgrounds

Kampen

In deze plattegrond van Kampen is de stad in vogelvlucht weergegeven vanuit het noordoosten. De langgerekte vorm van de stad langs de brede rivier is duidelijk zichtbaar, terwijl talrijke schepen de rol van Kampen als belangrijke rivierhaven onderstrepen.

Kampen was van de 13e tot de 17e eeuw een belangrijk handelscentrum dankzij de gunstige geografische ligging aan de IJssel. De vroegere rijkdom van deze Hanzestad blijkt onder meer uit de prachtige Gotische Sint-Nicolaaskerk. De kerktoren in het verlengde van de brug over de IJssel behoort toe aan de Broederkerk, een Nederlands Hervormde kerk, die ooit deel uitmaakte van een klooster uit de 15e eeuw. Rechts verrijst de Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk of Buitenkerk.

In this map of Kampen, the city is shown in a bird’s-eye view from the northeast. The elongated shape of the city along the broad river is clearly apparent, while numerous ships underline Kampen’s role as an important river port.

Kampen was an important trade centre from the 13th to the 17th century thanks to its favourable geographical location on the IJssel. The former wealth of this Hanseatic city is attested for instance by the magnificent Gothic Sint-Nicolaaskerk. The church tower in line with the bridge over the IJssel belongs to the Broederkerk, a Dutch Reformed church, which was once part of a monastery dating from the 15th century. The Onze-Lieve-Vrouwekerk or Buitenkerk rises up on the right.

Commentary by George Braun: ‘The churches of St Nicolai and of Our Lady surpass all other, also on account of their height. The town hall, which stands not far from the bridge over the IJssel, is also a handsome and commanding structure. The most magnificent of all, however, is the tollhouse with its particularly impressive proportions.’

In this second view of Kampen, the city is shown in a bird’s-eye view from the northeast, from the opposite bank of the IJssel River, just before it flows into the Zuiderzee. The elongated shape of the city along the broad river is clearly apparent, while numerous ships underline Kampen’s role as an important river port.

Frans Hogenberg & George Braun

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590) was een belangrijke Brabantse carthograaf. Hij sympathiseerde met de hervorming en vluchtte van Antwerpen naar Duitsland. In Keulen richtte hij samen met Georg Braun een cartografische drukkerij-uitgeverij op. Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was redacteur en kanunnik van de Dom van Keulen.

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg. By the end of the 1560’s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius’s Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor’s degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Civitates Orbis Terrarum

Braun en Hogenberg stelden in 1572 het stadsgezichtenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum samen. Dit boek sloeg aan in Duitsland en raakte later overal bekend. Het zesde en laatste deel verscheen in 1617.  Het is de grootste verzameling plattegronden en illustraties die ooit is verschenen. Het boek is ontstaan tussen 1572 en 1617 en bevat 363 kaarten en stadsgezichten van alle belangrijke steden in Europa en steden in Azië, Afrika en Latijns-Amerika. Ruim honderd kunstenaars en cartografen hebben meegewerkt aan deze atlas, die niet alleen plattegronden van steden laat zien maar ook afbeeldingen van mensen in hun landelijke kleding, schepen en topografische afbeeldingen van stad en land. De atlas was bedoeld als gids voor de in 1570 verschenen wereldatlas Theatrum Orbis Terrarum van Abraham Ortelius die inderdaad een aantal bladen voor zijn wereldatlas gebruikt heeft.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the “Braun & Hogenberg”, is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Cornelis Antonisz., Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, the next volumes appeared in 1575, 1581, 1588, 1598 and 1617. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.