Den Bosch – T’s Hertogenbosch; G. Braun & F. Hogenberg – 1588

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) / Georg Braun (1541 – 1622).

Oudtijds gekleurde antiek kaart van Den Bosch. Een iconische plattegrond in perspectief met opstanden van huizen en gebouwen van de stad. Uit het vierde deel van het beroemde stedenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum van Braun en Hogenberg, uitgegeven te Keulen.

Contemporary colored antique map of Den Bosch. An iconic view of the town’s houses and buildings. From the fourth part of the famous city book Civitates Orbis Terrarum by Braun and Hogenberg, published in Cologne.

475,00

Out of stock

Description

Details

  • Type: carthografische prent
  • Titel: ‘s Hertogenbosch.
  • Publicatie: 1588
  • Techniek: kopergravure met oudtijdse kleuring
  • Cartograaf: Jacob van Deventer
  • Uitgever: Gottfried von Kempen e.a.
  • Graveur: Frans Hogenberg e.a.
  • Gepubliceerd in:  Civitates Orbis Terrarum ‘Liber Quartus Urbium Praecipuarum Totius Mundi.’ door Frans Hogenberg en George Braun in Köln
  •   33.6 x 47.0 cm.
  • 49.5 x 53.5 cm
  • Verso: Latijnse tekst
  • M2140O
  • Bron: Koeman II B&H 4 [12] / Taschen p. 284 / Fauser #5720

 

Condition: B

Goed, gegeven de leeftijd. Middenvouw als uitgegeven met voldoende marges. Scherpe afdruk met lichte kleuring op stevig papier met een enkel vlekje. Klein gaatje in de middenvouw.

Good, given age. Centrefold as issued with sufficent margins. Sharp print with soft coloring on sturdy paper with a single spo. Small hole in the title Centrefold.

Backgrounds

Den Bosch

Translation of the title: ‘Hadrianus Barlandus. ‘s-Hertogenbosch, a Brabantian city famous for its school and its warlike people. In earlier times the people of Guelders felt the effect of their weapons more than once, and our troops fought against them with varying success. Here stands a church dedicated to the Mother of God, a magnificent work.’

Het vogelperspectief toont ‘s-Hertogenbosch met de Sint-Janskathedraal. Het is een van de belangrijkste kerken van Nederland. Aanvankelijk gepland als parochiekerk, werd het in 1559 de kathedraal van het nieuw opgerichte bisdom ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Dit plan toont de karakteristieke oude binnenstad met het driehoekige marktplein en het water: de Dommel en Aa met hun vele armen die rond en door de stad lopen. ‘s-Hertogenbosch kreeg in 1185 stadsrechten en was in de late middeleeuwen een marktcentrum voor boeren uit de omliggende regio, die hier handel dreven in uit vlas gesponnen linnen en uit wol geweven stoffen. Behalve een centrum van de lakenindustrie was ‘s-Hertogenbosch ook een distributiepunt voor wijn, vis en zandsteen en van culturele betekenis: hier woonde en werkte de schilder Jheronimus Bosch en de humanist Georgius Macropedius (Joris van Lanckfelt). Hij was leraar aan de Latijnse school in ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Gelegen op een zandrug midden in de moerassen en sterk versterkt, werd deze strategisch belangrijke stad lange tijd als onneembaar beschouwd. De Nederlandse Opstand in de 16e eeuw maakte een einde aan de economische welvaart die het in de late middeleeuwen genoot.

In this large-format bird’s-eye plan of ‘s-Hertogenbosch the cathedral of St John (top) is surrounded by a green. It is one of the most important churches in the Netherlands. Initially planned as a parish church, it became the cathedral of the newly founded diocese of ‘s-Hertogenbosch in 1559. This plan shows the charasteristic, almost triangular Old Town, with the marketplace that also has a triangular shape, and the little Rivers Dommel and Aa with their many arms flowing around and through the city. ‘s-Hertogenbosch was granted a municipal charter in 1185 and in the late Middle Ages it was a market centre for farmers from the surrounding region, who traded here in linen spun from flax and cloth woven from wool. Besides having been a centre of the cloth industry, ‘s-Hertogenbosch was a distribution point for wine, fish and sandstone, and was of cultural significance: the painter Hieronymus Bosch lived and worked here and the humanist Georgius Macropedius, really Joris van Lanckfelt, was a teacher at the Latin school in ‘s-Hertogenbosch. Situated on a sandy ridge in the middle of marshes and strongly fortified, this strategically important city was for a long time considered impregnable. The Dutch Revolt in the 16th century put an end to the economic prosperity it enjoyed in the late Middle Ages.

Commentary by George Braun: ‘The people in ‘s-Hertogenbosch are naturally communicative, friendly and modest, and they are skilled in trade and handicrafts. They are leaders in spinning and weaving, and cloth worth 200,000 crowns is spun and woven here every year. The local water is of great advantage to them, for it has the natural property of making the cloth whiter than any water can. In this city there are also ver skilful cutlers who manufacture needles and pins of such high quality and in such great quantity that they are sought after in all parts of the world.’

Frans Hogenberg & George Braun

Frans Hogenberg (1535-1590) was een belangrijke Vlaamse etser, carthograaf en uitgever. Hij sympathiseerde met de hervorming en vluchtte van Antwerpen naar Duitsland. In Keulen richtte hij samen met Georg Braun een cartografische drukkerij-uitgeverij op. Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was redacteur en kanunnik van de Dom van Keulen.

Frans Hogenberg (1535 – 1590) was a Flemish and German painter, engraver, and mapmaker. He was born in Mechelen as the son of Nicolaas Hogenberg. By the end of the 1560’s Frans Hogenberg was employed upon Abraham Ortelius’s Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, published in 1570; he is named as engraver of numerous maps. In 1568 he was bannend from Antwerp by the Duke of Alva and travelled to London, where he stayed a few years before emigrating to Cologne. There he immediately embarked on his two most important works, the Civitates published from 1572 and the Geschichtsblätter, which appeared in several series from 1569 until about 1587.

Georg Braun (1541 – 1622) was born in Cologne in 1541. After his studies in Cologne he entered the Jesuit Order as a novice. In 1561 he obtained his bachelor’s degree and in 1562 his Magister Artium. Although he left the Jesuit Order, he studied theology, gaining a licentiate in theology.

Civitates Orbis Terrarum

Braun en Hogenberg stelden in 1572 het stadsgezichtenboek Civitates Orbis Terrarum samen. Dit boek sloeg aan in Duitsland en raakte later overal bekend. Het zesde en laatste deel verscheen in 1617.  Het is de grootste verzameling plattegronden en illustraties die ooit is verschenen. Het boek is ontstaan tussen 1572 en 1617 en bevat 363 kaarten en stadsgezichten van alle belangrijke steden in Europa en steden in Azië, Afrika en Latijns-Amerika. Ruim honderd kunstenaars en cartografen hebben meegewerkt aan deze atlas, die niet alleen plattegronden van steden laat zien maar ook afbeeldingen van mensen in hun landelijke kleding, schepen en topografische afbeeldingen van stad en land. De atlas was bedoeld als gids voor de in 1570 verschenen wereldatlas Theatrum Orbis Terrarum van Abraham Ortelius die inderdaad een aantal bladen voor zijn wereldatlas gebruikt heeft.

The Civitates Orbis Terrarum, or the “Braun & Hogenberg”, is a six-volume town atlas and the greatest book of town views and plans ever published: 363 engravings, sometimes beautifully coloured. It was one of the best-selling works in the last quarter of the 16th century. Georg Braun wrote the text accompanying the plans and views on the verso. A large number of the plates were engraved after the original drawings of Joris Hoefnagel (1542-1600), who was a professional artist. The first volume was published in Latin in 1572, the sixth volume in 1617. Frans Hogenberg created the tables for volumes I through IV, and Simon van den Neuwel created those for volumes V and VI. Other contributors were cartographer Daniel Freese, and Heinrich Rantzau. Works by Jacob van Deventer, Cornelis Antonisz., Sebastian Münster, and Johannes Stumpf were also used. Translations appeared in German and French.

Following the original publication of Volume 1 of the Civitates in 1572, the next volumes appeared in 1575, 1581, 1588, 1596 and 1617. The German translation of the first volume appeared from 1574 on and the French edition from 1575 on.

Several printers were involved: Theodor Graminaeus, Heinrich von Aich, Gottfried von Kempen, Johannis Sinniger, Bertram Buchholtz and Peter von Brachel, who all worked in Cologne.

You may also like…